Saturday, January 21, 2006

An Enchanting Experience"

It was early on Saturday morning
2.30 am I noted the time to be.
The night before it had rained
Tropical rain after a heat wave
But.......
In the early hours of Sat 21st Jan'06
I woke to the noise of thunder and saw flashes
of lightning in the sky,they seemed to be outside my front upstairs bedroom window
I got out of bed and came downstairs
I had left the front door open,but
had locked the wire door
It was too oppresive to sleep without air.
Sometimes it is necessary to throw
caution to the wind on nights like this

Down it came rain so heavy ,but light in texture
not winter rain.. it was summer,tropical rain
I stood on the front porch
and looked across to the park
some 35 metres away.

The golden leaves on the huge elm and poplar and ash trees, huge palms,liquid ambers flowering gums p/barks ,pencil pines
allstretched out their foliage to greet the water
as if to say " Here we are,come come dance with us"
Give us the nourishment we need
Stay, stay, don't leave us..stay longer

Flashes of lightning ,thunder rolls interacted with the downpour
I thought of the past 5 weeks
I had sent numerous emails to my local government
for the mulching around the trees
and also some re/cycled water they've for sports ovals
No..they said...they came and muclched but no drink for the trees

I then sent emails to all the councillors ,
wrote letters to the local paper
took up a petition of those living near and adjacent to the park
Or Reserve as we call it..." The Garden City Reserve"
landscaped 16 acres in 1928 for the people of this Garden City
from an English plan of a village.
I enventually got my trees watered,late at night the previous week ..why at night I asked myself.....I still wonder
It was done...I had not been so forceful in 1986 when 20 trees died on the park....20 years down the track I know what to do...Do I get offended someone once said of me
No " I don't think I do" if its a small thing I let it go
If its a big issue....I GET MAD,really MAD

I stood out in this early Sat morning rain letting it run down
my back ,wet my hair ,bare feet I walked to the corner
It was a magical sight ,a sight of wonderment
that rain could fill ones heart so.
Perhaps like that of farmers in drought,those fighting bushfires
those who rely on tank water ,those whose gardens are dying
Fruit crops,paddocks of pasture,animals in danger of dying of thirst.,rivers needing a good deluge to flush their banks

And here was I worrying about a park full of trees
I pulled myself together and thought
These trees are needed to take up the impurities
in the air we are subjected to. 25,000 trucks and cars
travel up and down to the docks daily on the road behind my home
Treesare needed,they are precious,they are there for just this reason..

Did I see elves or fairies in the rain drops?
I think I saw in those raindrops small creatures
caught in the heavy deluge ,dancing, singing, playing small harps as they too enjoyed a special and rare event of late
They could have been any little creatures even butterflies,or dragon flies or maybe spiders and bees,any creatures that use the trees for a place to call home...

Lois ( Muse of the Sea) 22.1.06

4 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Very powerful writing. It gave me shivers it was so good.

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger faucon of Sakin'el said...

One of your finest moments, to be sure. Which Goddess was it that carried an urn with which to nurture human lives in need? I don't recall -- perhaps it is a dream.

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger faucon of Sakin'el said...

I just realized that when "tree are" is wrtiien as one word --
'treesare' becomes 'treasure'

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Faucon is right, Lois, trees are treasure, and your piece is a treasure as well. The trees of the world need so many human defenders. Those of us who have to, if necessary, water at night are heroes to the tree beings, and to all the creatures who dwell in and around them.

Great piece, Lois.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home